We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

FurBaby_Mom

Wild Cherry

Sorry....this cracks me up!
 Milwaukee has this mom website/message board and it's the best way to find out what's happening around the city.  It has a weekly calendar - which has terrific ideas.  But I was looking at what's on tap for the weekend and saw this:

Celebrating Your Daughter's First Period
Time: 11:00 am - Noon
Cost: Free
Your daughter's first period can be an exciting and emotional experience for both her and you. At this workshop, get a review of the physiology of the menstrual cycle, how it may affect your child, and how to celebrate this important rite of passage. Facilitated by Lucky Tomaszek, former doula and author of Vital Source's "Slightly Crunchy Parent" column.

First of all, the idea cracks me up.  Second, the location is The Tool Shed?  I don't know what that is, but it sounds so...I don't know...primitive?  Sounds very witchcraft-like to me! (I say this jokingly, so please don't flip out here...)  I am fairly sure that I would've DIED if my mom took me to this.
Amy
"hoarder of supplies"

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Re: Sorry....this cracks me up!
FurBaby_Mom wrote: Milwaukee has this mom website/message board and it's the best way to find out what's happening around the city.  It has a weekly calendar - which has terrific ideas.  But I was looking at what's on tap for the weekend and saw this:

Celebrating Your Daughter's First Period
Time: 11:00 am - Noon
Cost: Free
Your daughter's first period can be an exciting and emotional experience for both her and you. At this workshop, get a review of the physiology of the menstrual cycle, how it may affect your child, and how to celebrate this important rite of passage. Facilitated by Lucky Tomaszek, former doula and author of Vital Source's "Slightly Crunchy Parent" column.

First of all, the idea cracks me up.  Second, the location is The Tool Shed?  I don't know what that is, but it sounds so...I don't know...primitive?  Sounds very witchcraft-like to me! (I say this jokingly, so please don't flip out here...)  I am fairly sure that I would've DIED if my mom took me to this.

Actually.... it IS a pagan rite of passage :) Called "menarche", it's a way of celebrating a young woman's passage into womanhood.  I've been to several and they've always been a positive and uplifting experience for the young gal in question :)
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!

4peasinourpod

Wild Cherry

People from Milwaukee are just plain weird.

:bluewinkb:
~pam~

SBcrazee

Cherry Jubilee

Aren't you glad you're having a boy Amy? :graylol:
ImageImage

ArmyWife95

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I totally agree with Furry!!  I would have DIED too!

Pagan...What religion is that?  Just curious.

PezKat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Bwah!
Image Image

FurBaby_Mom

Wild Cherry

But at THE TOOL SHED?!  That's hilarious.  "Hey, meet us out back when the men are asleep.  Bring your lavendar."
Amy
"hoarder of supplies"

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

FurBaby_Mom wrote: But at THE TOOL SHED?!  That's hilarious.  "Hey, meet us out back when the men are asleep.  Bring your lavendar."
  *groan* OMgawd Amy... you're making me choke on my thistle... :P
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!

Kimandasmo

Cherry Jubilee

I am sure my dd would have died had I takedn her to that---

now the TOOL SHED part had me thinking more along the lines of what not to do in the tool shed---KWIM

4peasinourpod

Wild Cherry

Where IS the Tool Shed?  I know the Machine Shed (which, btw, is about halfway between us and we should meet for lunch :winkb:)....but the Tool Shed? 
~pam~

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

The Tool Shed sounds like a bar- actually I think it is one around here!
So they're having their girly celebration in a bar? And I love that the woman's name is LUCKY!

JeanellePaige

Digital Designers

Well, at least there's something there for people who may want to go to it. Weird to me, but to each their own!
Jeanelle Paige
My Blog ~ Lots of cool stuff there!!
My Shoppe ~ Always Sales!

Renee

Chocolate Covered Cherry

My word! I would have been so humiliated if my mother took me to something like that.

The Tool Shed? That's hilarious!

dussie

Cherry Tart

The time to celebrate periods is when they're DONE... no more periods!  
periods are overkill.  about 40 years x 12... a bit much... you have to wonder, what was he thinking when he invented that.......
the tool shed, that's a guy place... the shed in the yard w/all the stuff in it, the gas can, the lawn mower... no room for a party!

jmo95

Cherry Cola

That's kind of weird!
Jenn
Don't fear the challenge, challenge the fear.

Image Image

countryliving2

Cherry Blossom

I AGREE WITH DUSSIE.  THE TIME TO CELEBRATE IS WHEN THEY ARE OVER.
Nan

Kara

Cherry Jubilee

lol.......
Image \ ImageImage

mkcdaisy

Cherry Cola

OK seriously the tool shed.  They couldn't find a living room or something.

But on another note- Its not a horrible idea.  When I got mine I literally screamed "mom, i'm bleeding to death" I had no idea what was happening.  Of course my mom didn't expect to me start at 10 but still.

Shanscraps

Cherry Bing

that is so creepy, just what every mom wants to do with their teenage daughter...
ShanShan

AnnH

Cherry Blossom

Actually, it doesn't sound like it's for moms and daughters, just for moms.  ("...how it may affect your child,... how to celebrate")   And, from a daughter whose mother could not talk to her about her period but could only mumble something about "napkins" and "belts" and hand me the things :?...?  I wish my mom had had a workshop!!!
Ann

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee