Can Autism be cured?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

SBcrazee
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 28

Can Autism be cured?

Post by SBcrazee »

I just listened to Jenny McCarthy talk & she says her son has recovered from Autism.  Here's the link.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health ... carthy.cnn

I have read a bit on Autism & her approach to it & I give her full credit for her research & the awareness she's bringing to the people. But, deep down I also wonder if what she's supporting is fully true. Basically the part that the vaccines were the sole cause of her sons Autism & the changes she made that helped her son to fully recover from it. What do you think?
ImageImage
bumblebby
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 5

Re: Can Autism be cured?

Post by bumblebby »

I think that every child is different. Her approach won't work for everyone.

My ds started showing symptoms before he even had his MMR vaccine so I am not sold on vaccine link yet.

I think early intervention greatly improves one's chances of being able to function in society. 

I guess I respect her dedication to her ds but I find her kind of flakey to listen to. As well when she was on Oprah and she was talking about her ds being diagnosed with Autism, she made it sound like some doctor who had just met her ds instantly diagnosed him. I find that weird as my ds had to go through extensive testing.
dianagirly
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 812

Post by dianagirly »

bumblebby wrote: I think that every child is different. Her approach won't work for everyone.

My ds started showing symptoms before he even had his MMR vaccine so I am not sold on vaccine link yet.

I think early intervention greatly improves one's chances of being able to function in society. 

I guess I respect her dedication to her ds but I find her kind of flakey to listen to. As well when she was on Oprah and she was talking about her ds being diagnosed with Autism, she made it sound like some doctor who had just met her ds instantly diagnosed him. I find that weird as my ds had to go through extensive testing.

I Agree!
FurBaby_Mom
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 444

Post by FurBaby_Mom »

I saw that inteview, too, and felt like 1) she gave false hopes to parents and 2) she made it seem like if your kid still has autism, you aren't a "warrior mom".  It kind of bugged.
 I highly doubt that Jenny McCarthy has discovered the very thing that scientists have missed all of these years ;)
(edited for grammar)
Last edited by FurBaby_Mom on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amy
"hoarder of supplies"
PDEK
Cherry Tart

Post by PDEK »

Per my doctor and my doctor friends, children begin showing symptoms around the time of their vaccine series, which is why so many people want to associate autism with vaccines.

According to Dr. Temple Grandin (who is herself autistic) in her book "Animals in Translation" autism to her is constant anxiety. She talks about how much working with horses impacted her and her ability to learn and go on to be a productive member of society (with a Phd no less).

My humble opinion is that many disorders of the mind are negatively impacted by the way we forsake nature, open space, animals and our agricultural heritage.

I'm obviously biased being a horse person, but I am also so saddened at how many children never get the opportunity to interact with horses.

As for Jenny McCarthy I think she makes some valid points, we have done a great job of toxifying the planet and adding heavy metals, etc. to our bodies. Studies done on British inmates showed that their behaviour and mental state improved drastically when they were given Omega 3 supplements.

I think anyone/child can make great progress with a mental condition when they have the kinds of resources she is blessed to have. I would like to see less of her crusading against medicine and more of her stumping for funding for special needs in schools, and even greater access to hippotherapy.
JenniferP
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 50

Post by JenniferP »

FurBaby_Mom wrote: 
 I highly doubt that Jenny McCarthy has discovered the very thing that scientists have missed all of these years ;)
Ditto.

Lately there's been a bunch of articles about autism/vaccines in the baby magazines that come to my house and they all say that it's not true and vaccinations are safe.  I asked the NICU nurses about it (because Amelia got her Hep vaccine before we left the hospital and I had the option of refusing it - which confused me - sometimes options are a bad thing) and I asked my doctor about it, and they all said it's fine. 

Regarding the quantity of vaccinations usually given at once which some people say is the culprit of this autism/vaccine link - my doctor split them up  - Amelia had 2 at 2 months, and 2 at 3 months - I think normally they would have all been given at 2 months.

Anyways, I've been asking around and reading all that I can because I surely don't want to afflict my child with anything bad, but the consensus I have is that it's safe.

I also find it aggravating that some people elect to not vaccinate their children, then expose them to other small children, and now there's outbreaks of diseases that haven't been around in ages.  There was recently an outbreak of whooping cough in our community.  I really don't appreciate exposing my child to these wierd diseases that haven't been around in forever.  More reason for me to vaccinate in my opinion!  The scientists had reasons to create these vaccinations in the first place!
~Jen
Jenn Kellams
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 402

Post by Jenn Kellams »

After having a nephew diagnosed with autism.  My sister and my family has done hours of our own research.

I do not think Autism is ever cured!  It may go into a sort of "remission" but I don't think it ever goes away. 

As far as immunizations being the cause, the verdict is still out.  My personal belief is that autism is a gene thing and that it is more predominate in testosterone fueled genes.  This is only my opinion based on things I have read.I believe it is contributed to genes simply because if one child has it in your family, chances are you will have another child with it.  The testosterone part is because it is more prevelant in males.  Maybe the immunizations increase the chances of it showing its ugly face, but again thats my opinion.  My sister had a son first who was diagnosed with autism around the age of one.  He has not had a booster shot since.  She tried EVERYTHING to "cure" it.  She tried the diet that Jenny McCarthy touts as being the lifesaver for her son and it did absolutely NOTHING for my nephew.  Trevor was shortly thereafter enrolled into several therapy programs and today although he still shows signs in his communication that he is autistic, he has now been down-graded to a less severe type in the spectrum -- he has Aspergers Syndrome.  He is enrolled in a full time kindergarten class in a regular school with regular children and excelling incredibly well.

Two years ago my sister gave birth to another baby, which thankfully was a baby girl, and she is completely autism free.  She has also never had an immunization.  If all continues to go well, she will have them before she starts kindergarten. 

Treatment is different for everyone.  The approach that you take (or anyone takes) is their choice.  You may have to try several different things to see what works best for a specific child.
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog
AnnOminous
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 211

Post by AnnOminous »

There are definitely immune system problems that can be caused by vaccinations, especially over vaccinating, but autism isn't considered to be immune system related.  (Even so, I don't think the thimersol is really all that safe.)

I don't think autism can be "cured" right now or that a cure is anywhere close.  Treatments are definitely improving and helping more and more.
AmyTeets
Digital Designers
Gallery: 368

Post by AmyTeets »

_fck_first_run
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!
ArmyWife95
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 160

Post by ArmyWife95 »

No, I don't believe autism can be cured.  A child may become better with therapy and lots of socialization, but there is no cure. 

Jenny McCarthy, due to her celeb status makes her an ok advocate for autism.  Some of her ideas are a little flakey though!  What works for some is not going to work for all.  I'm glad her son is doing well, but diet and greening our vaccines will not work for everyone.

Hopefully some day there will be a cure, but for now just a lot if intervention with therapy.
gonecamping
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 129

Post by gonecamping »

My son is 15 and has Aspergers. We were told when he was 3 that he had autism.  There is no "cure" for autism. The person can adapt to the world to a degree that it may appear that they are cured but they still have autism. Jenny McCarthy's son will still have social skills issues and communications issues. My son did not speak until 4. He had an aide with him until he was in 5th grade. he is now mainstreamed in high school, has alot of friends who have no idea that he has Aspergers. They think he is a little quirky but he fits right in with others. Now at home, he has alot of anxiety about school and we have to talk alot about social situations and whats appropriate. I have read so much about autism and its causes, been to a ton of autism conferences and taken every class known to man. I don't think they have any clear answers to the cause of autism. Its different with every child. All I know is my son was a happy loving baby, had surgery on his 1st birthday, woke up out of anethsia screaming, didn't stop screaming for literally months! He became so difficult to handle that at 15 months he broke my foot and and almost dislocated my jaw from headbutting. I think he had some sort of reaction to the anthestic they used. I had a friend that had her son go through the chelation to remove heavy metals from his system, made no difference in his autism at all. Each child is so different you have to keep working to find what works for them.
***Tanya***
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1754

Post by beachlover »

I am 'cautious'...  because I do not know medicine and I do not have all the facts.  But my heart goes out to these families.  You think you are doing the right thing by having your child vaccinated, and then you find it may be the cause of your child's Autism....  Terrible!
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

cat1393
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 221

Post by cat1393 »

my nephew was diagnosed mildly autistic. Not sure if there is a such thing as mildly. but my brother made sure that they had alot of intervention.  I would never guess he is autistic. When my mom told me, my jaw dropped to the floor.
I've read there is no cure.

Christine
ArmyWife95
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 160

Post by ArmyWife95 »

Oh, in case some newbies are replying on this thread, I do speak from experience as my one and only son is autistic.  He was rx around 4 years old.  He's now 10 years old and with much intervention and socialization he's pretty "normal".  Much like, gonecamping said, he can be a little quirky, but for the most part he is just one of the gang.  I'm so thankful that he does so well, he's mainstreamed and doesn't really have any major hangups!  It's been a long road though.
MaBuglet
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 382

Post by MaBuglet »

We're testing Bug right now for Asperger's and the two middle ones have fallen in the lowest range of autism.  We've done our fair share of research and found the gluten-free diet helped, but didn't cure.  I'm glad someone's out there putting faces and names to this problem, but I agree with Amy, her interview on Oprah annoyed me.  It seemed that if you didn't get your kid "cured" that you didn't qualify for the warrior award.  Screw that.
CHEERS~~
cubshan
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 49

Post by cubshan »

My best friend's son was just diagnosed with Autism and she has heard that it is something that doctors are not sure of the cause, so they have no cure.  There are some theories that it is caused by vaccinations, but it hasn't been proven.  It is also a theory that feeding the person a gluten free diet can help with the disease, however nothing is working for my friend's son.  She is doing everything she can to learn more and get money donated, etc.
Image Image
Jenn Kellams
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 402

Post by Jenn Kellams »

Its a disorder, not a disease.  Be careful when talking about this.  It can be upsetting to some when you call it a disease.  This is just a public broadcasting announcement.....not meant to offend anyone!
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog

Return to “General Talk”