Social Microcosm - revisited

Moderator: ACOT Employee

FurBaby_Mom
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 444

Post by FurBaby_Mom »

This topic was deleted before, but it needs to be revisited, as it's been over a year.   Fortunately I saved it  Here we go:What is a Social Microcosm?When I was in graduate school, each student had to participate in group therapy (it was a social work program).  We did this for a couple reasons.  Number one: everyone has crap to deal with and it was a support network while we interned.  Number two: a group is a social microcosm of the larger social world.  I learned some very important things about peer interactions.Why am I telling you this?  Because this board is a social microcosm of the larger social world; and the interactions that take place here are much like group therapy.  How so?  It's a setting for personal relationships; support; feedback; a sense of community; a forum for solving problems.  Most importantly, it's a social interaction.  Here are the textbook goals for group therapy: forum for people to disclose their feelings; enhance empathy as others express their feelings; social exchange; foster a sense of security and community; learn the difference between socially appropriate and unacceptable behavior; increase tolerance; provide a link to others.So what's my point?  This board is like group therapy and it does represent a social microcosm of life outside the MB.  My opinion is that ultimately your "true" personality surfaces regardless of the fact that these MB interactions aren't face to face.  Like I said, this board is a social microcosm of the larger society - the way you act on the board is probably much like the way that you act in the larger society.  Consequently, the way that people respond to you is probably much like the way that they respond to you in the larger society.  My hunch is that those that stir up controversy on the board probably stir up controversy in larger society.  My hunch is that those who constantly complain and feel like the scapegoat probably complain and feel scapegoated in larger society.  My hunch is that those who aren't happy here probably aren't happy in their life outside of the MB.   My hunch is also that people who triangulate and try to win favor from others by triangulating probably have troubled social interactions both on and off the MB. The way that you deal with others and the way that others deal with you on this MB is probably a fairly accurate depiction of your life in society.  Please take the opportunity for self-reflection - that's what the board is all about.I'm not trying to be a therapist or a preacher or anything of the sort.  It's just disappointing to me that the board has changed its tone due to the recent "unfriendly allegations" and "attacking."  About a month ago, the board was entertaining and even hilarious.  I have met some incredible people here - people who have, in such a short time, made an impact on me!  This board is great for social interaction and it's great for self-reflection.  Please use it as such.  And those who aren't happy here...Is it JUST this board that makes you that unhappy?!  If you answered yes, why do you return time and time again?! 
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2351

Post by Art_Teacher »

I love you, Amy!
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
MaBuglet
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 382

Post by MaBuglet »

I am so hearting you right now!
FurBaby_Mom
Wild Cherry

Post by FurBaby_Mom »

I am feeling the love.
Stormy_Cat
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 262

Post by Stormy_Cat »

I *heart* you Amy
Heather
Ryan is 4 years old!
Deirdra
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 228

Post by Deirdra »

People should know what a social microcosm is, since Stephen referenced it.No one's hearting you more than me right now.  ;o)
ElsieB
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 561

Post by ElsieB »

Oh, Amy...I love you SO much. It was this speech that made me fall in love with you in the first place!
flutistmom
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 22

Post by flutistmom »

Thank you, Professor! Say, do you remember the first time you posted the Social Microcosm speech? (I'm reluctant to abbreviate it to SM for obvious reasons!)
Robin
mykidsmom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 13

Post by mykidsmom »

Scrap Goddess
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 5

Post by Scrap Goddess »

Wow, nicely said. Thanks!
Deirdra
Cherry Crush

Post by Deirdra »

You had me at graduate school.
FurBaby_Mom
Wild Cherry

Post by FurBaby_Mom »

Robin.....I just looked up my old threads and it was on March 17, 2004!!!D, you kill me.
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

you know I never had the patience to read this before...and still don't now. I jsut know it's the fodder of greater discussions...er, what we like to call drama.
Image Image
Gypsymonkey
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 441

Post by Gypsymonkey »

Here...we have a place to voice ourselves!
"May you always have memories to scrap!" ~ Diana
moodyonceamth
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 653

Post by moodyonceamth »

LOVING the backhanded compliments that go flying around here.....especially when a smiley is attached.  SO cool!  Furry....you complete us.
If you dare condemn my life, it will come after you with a sharpened rake. Steven Jesse Bernstein
LoveMyBella
Product Promotions
Gallery: 437

Post by LoveMyBella »

No one hearts Furry more than me!  No one!
Deirdra
Cherry Crush

Post by Deirdra »

OMG, Moody!  I feel that!
Deirdra
Cherry Crush

Post by Deirdra »

Hey, MamaK, if you took the time to read it, I bet you'd agree with it whole heartedly.
moodyonceamth
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 653

Post by moodyonceamth »

ok, Veruca, we get it.  She's YOURS!  ALL YOURS!!! 
If you dare condemn my life, it will come after you with a sharpened rake. Steven Jesse Bernstein
FurBaby_Mom
Wild Cherry

Post by FurBaby_Mom »

Moody....rule number 9 about starting a picture war.....Make sure it shows up!!!

Return to “General Talk”